Sunday, February 13, 2011

Two Funerals

I attended two funerals this week. As a sound tech I frequently attend weddings, funerals, and other special events in the lives of people. But these two funerals where so different. The amount of people that attended, the music played, where they were held, how many people that spoke, and just the over all atmosphere. The first one was for a young women of 41. She had an incredible story of survival and had impacted so may peoples live. At age 4 she had been diagnosed with cancer and was told that she would not she her 5th year of life. However the doctors had a glimmer of hope. There was a new treatment that may help her defeat her cancer. So she went through radiation and chemo therapy. To every ones surprise the cancer went away. She went on to living her life and eventually got married. The doctors told her that she would be unable to have kids because of the radiation. It turns out she beat the odds again and had two beautiful girls. She impacted may peoples live as a principal and administrator in the Las Vegas school district. For the last few months she had been suffering silently. She when to the doctors again and they prepped her for surgery. What they found was that all those years ago that same radiation that had saved her life had started deteriorating her intestine. So the same radiation that had saved her life years earlier was going to kill her now. Her funeral was attended by more than 700 people and as I looked around everyone was crying at times. She truly made an impact and and left a legacy of love and laughter.

The second funeral was for a 31 year old young man that had a disorder that hampered the ability to use his legs as a child. He was restricted to a wheelchair for most of his young life. This brought with it the taints of his peers. As he grow he gained more ability with his legs and was able to walk and even run. He joined the ROTC at his school and wanted to join the military. However the disorder prevented him from doing so. But he never let anything stop him from dreaming to do more. He was always there for his friends and family. You could ask him for anything and he would be right there to help no questions asked. He left a legacy of love and laughter. His funeral was small and only had close friends and family. There were many tears and fond memories. He passed away of unknown reasons.

Life is a gift. Live everyday to it fullest.

Every time I attend a funeral I wonder what kind of impact I have made. What would my funeral look like? What kind of legacy would I leave? How will people remember me? Did I leave the kind of impression that I want to leave? Did people know my love for Christ? Did I share all the gifts I had? Was I not selfish with my time? 

I hope I have lived the kind of life that I can be proud of. I don't know which funeral I would want. One with many many people in attendance or one with close friends and family. All I know is that I hope to leave a legacy of love and laughter after I am gone.   

No comments:

Post a Comment